The yacht righted itself...?

sambistapt

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello amigos!

After the huge wave turned it over, the yacht righted itself and was able to continue.

It´s the first time I´ve come across this verb "right", Is there any other verb that could replace this one and that conveys the same meaning in the context above?

Thanks,

Sam:cool:

• ewie

English English
    I can't think of a single verb, Sam, only long paraphrases: the yacht returned to vertical and the right-way-up (keel in water, sails in sky) ...

atsamo

Polish
    In this context the verb 'right' means "to regain an upright position of the yacht" and its antonym is the verb 'capsize'.

Andygc

British English
    Is there any other verb that could replace this one and that conveys the same meaning in the context above?
    Absolutely not. This is a specific usage of the verb to right. As atsamo wrote, it is the antonym for capsize. For example, lifeboats used by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution have, for many years, been self-righting.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The traffic reporters on our local radio stations who tell us about the state of the commute on the freeways frequently use "upright" as a verb. Not sure it'll catch on in any other arena :D

"They have just uprighted the overturned big-rig that had been blocking traffic on I-380 eastbound since 6 am and traffic is beginning to move again through the two lanes that are now open".

< Previous | Next >