The zenith of medieval papal power was the pontificate of In

< Previous | Next >

Grammar Explorer

HINDI
The zenith of medieval papal power was the pontificate of Innocent III, whose immense personal prestige cowed monarchs from the powerful Philip II "Augustus" of France to the feckless John of England, who earned such derisive epithets as "Lackland" and "Softsword." Even before Innocent's tenure, though, the involvement of Pope Henry IV in the Investiture Conflict had begun to hint at the tension between spiritual and temporal leadership that would eventually boil over in the Protestant Reformation.

Is "the pontificate of Innocent III" a man?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Welcome to the forum G.E.,

As you can see from the dictionary on this page (type in the box at the top, "English Definition"), the noun "pontificate" here means "the term of office of a pontiff". In the case of Pope Innocent III that was from 1198 to 1216.

Grammar Explorer

HINDI
    Then could you please tell me what does the bold part suggest? I can understand rest of the writing but I can't sense the bold sentence fully that's what I am failing to find the flow between the bold part and rest of the part of the sentence, although it's a very simple format like the following -

He was bad.

Grammar Explorer

HINDI
    Welcome to the forum G.E.,

As you can see from the dictionary on this page (type in the box at the top, "English Definition"), the noun "pontificate" here means "the term of office of a pontiff". In the case of Pope Innocent III that was from 1198 to 1216.
    Oh yea I understand now. Does "whose" refer "Innocent III"?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "The zenith of papal power" means the zenith of the power of the popes.
    This high point was reached when Innocent III was pope.

< Previous | Next >