their childish act back there

< Previous | Next >

Sibilla Vane

Italy, Italian
Hi guys, I didn't understand the meaning of this sentence, can anyone help me?

Their childish act back there with those girls just walking along minding their own business, if admittedly provocative.

I'd translate this way: Di nuovo il loro comportamento infantile, lì con quelle ragazze che camminavano con loro pensando ai fatti propri, anche se dichiaratamente provocanti.

What you guys think about? I'm not sure about the context, this sentence is probably referring to the main character of the novel who is thinking this about her two male friends. Aw and it's an Australian novel I'm translating.

• Sibilla Vane

Italy, Italian
    This is the rest of the sentence: Arguing with herself: whether to say something about the boys, their childish act back there with those girls just walking along minding their own business, if admittedly provocative.

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Domandandosi se non fosse il caso di dire qualcosa sui ragazzi e sul loro precedente gesto puerile con quelle ragazze che se ne stavano andando per i fatti loro, anche se bisogna dire in maniera provocatoria.

Sibilla Vane

Italy, Italian
    Sorry, I'm still confused about that back there. What would it mean? Actually going on translating I found it again. When the main character tackels her male friends, she sais: You sure about what you did back here? and they reply: Back where? What are you talking about? How could I translate it? Maybe with something like quello che avete appena fatto?

Last edited:

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Without the benefit of the whole text, I have translated "back there" with precedente. It can refer to a different place or previous moment in time. Context is everything.

Sibilla Vane

Italy, Italian
    Actually I don't have many context as it's a new chapter and a new situation, sorry... but thanks a lot anyway!

< Previous | Next >