Their manualized program

saide

Persian
Hi every body,

could you please tell me what does "manualized program" mean in the following paragraph?

In their review of findings from 11 CBT open trial studies to date, Barrett, Healy-Farrell and
March (2004) suggest that these studies collectively do provide preliminary evidence for the
effectiveness of CBT for OCD, even though they lack inclusion of randomized control group
studies, at present. The authors also report the results of their controlled treatment outcome trial of family based CBT (CBFT) involving 77 children and adolescents with OCD who were randomly assigned to one of three groups: individual CBFT, group CBFT and a wait list control group. Their manualized program (FOCUS Program): Freedom from Obsessions and Compulsions Using Special tools) included 14 weeks of FBFT protocols with family and sibling involvement and booster sessions delivered over the 12 months following treatment. Components of the program draw on principles of cognitive behavior therapy and exposure and response prevention.
[Quoted text reduced to the permitted maximum. DoinnyB - moderator]

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Chez

English English
    I agree. It is not a common, everyday term and seems to be very context-specific – in other words you'd have to ask the authors what it meant to be sure. But 'put into a manual' seems the most likely.

saide

Persian
    Again, sorry for bothering you.

give me a favor and explain the last sentence please. I can't get it:

Their manualized program (FOCUS Program): Freedom from Obsessions and Compulsions
    Using Special tools) included 14 weeks of FBFT protocols with family and sibling involvement
    and booster sessions delivered over the 12 months following treatment. Components
    of the program draw on principles of cognitive behavior therapy and exposure and response
    prevention. The program is developed to increase skills in disorder awareness (including CBT
    techniques and anxiety management); actual exposure and response prevention; and relapse
    prevention. Results revealed pre- to post-test symptom reduction that was clinically and statistically
    significant programs delivered individually and in groups
    Thank you

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Welcome to the forum, Saide! :) (Sorry just noticed you're a new member.)

The rule here is only 1 question per thread. You can always start a new thread to ask a new question.

< Previous | Next >