Their marriage ... to a greater extent than did that [those?] of couples ...

qizi

Chinese
Their marriage remained intact to a greater extent than did that of couples who married in earlier as well as later decades.
I am doing a test about "error correction". The answer key says "that" should be changed to "those". I feel it strange. Moreover, how is "did" used here? Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    I say "those (marriages)" is better than "that (marriage)". Do the "couples" share one marriage between them?

qizi

Chinese
    I say "those (marriages)" is better than "that (marriage)". Do the "couples" share one marriage between them?
    Thank you, but the beginning of the sentence is "their marriage". It's singular, so do I need to keep the singular in the later part?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    As Myridon points out, their marriage [singular] is being compared to the marriages [plural] of the couples who married in earlier or later decades. Thus it is "those" [=marriages] of the other couples.

As for than did: That is a perfectly acceptable inversion, but this is a different topic. As we permit only one topic per thread, it should be discussed in another thread. I suggest you look at this one, for instance:The posts from #7 on are the ones relevant to your question. If you still have a question after you have read the thread, you are welcome to add it there.

Last edited:

qizi

Chinese
    Thank you all, but I am getting more confused...><FISH'> and MilkyBarKid have the same opinion; Myridon and Cagey have the opposite. Is there anyone that can help me figure this out. Which one is right?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I vote with Myridon and Cagey; multiple marriages require "those."

Perhaps this is an American English / British English split. I note that, at least thus far, that's the nature of the divide: Fish and MilkyBar speak BrE, while Myridon, Cagey, and I are all in the US.

Copyright

American English
    I get a single marriage from "Their marriage" (the marriage of June and Brian Lockheart). So one marriage in the beginning of the sentence is being compared to multiple marriages later on.

I vote "those." No question (in my mind, anyway). :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I vote for those too. (No, I'm not just saying this to throw a spanner in the works.)
    Me too.

Their marriage remained intact to a greater extent than did those of couples who married in earlier as well as later decades.

I can't see any justification for that: but those represents "the marriages".

Their marriage remained intact to a greater extent than did the marriages of couples who married in earlier as well as later decades.

< Previous | Next >