their part?

dikom

Italiano/Vèneto - centrale
Hi! I need support in checking the correctness of the following sentence:

"This is a process that require the ability to work in a team, in which (where?) every component has their (its?) specific part."

I put in parenthesis some corrections I've figured out, but I need your help.

Thank you!

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    "This is a process that require the ability to work in a team, in which (where?) every component has their (its?) specific part."

Remove the red words/characters, and you have a good sentence.

dikom

'This is a process that requires the ability to work in a team, in which every component has its specific part'.

Thank you both!

Andygc

British English
    One of the standard meanings of "where" is "in which", and I agree with Dale about "every", so for me it's:
    "This is a process that requires the ability to work in a team, where every component has its specific part."

Mind you, I'd change "part" to "place" or "part to play".

dikom

One of the standard meanings of "where" is "in which", and I agree with Dale about "every", so for me it's:
    "This is a process that requires the ability to work in a team, where every component has its specific part."

Mind you, I'd change "part" to "place" or "part to play".
    I haven't understood the difference between 'where' and 'in which'... could you please explain me better? Thanks

Andygc

British English
    I don't see how else I can say it. Look at the meanings of "where" in a dictionary - like the Wordreference dictionary. One of the meanings is "in which". You can use "where" to mean "in which".

"This is the cupboard in which I keep my food" = "This is the cupboard where I keep my food"

< Previous | Next >