their way of life that Geralt decided it was safer to renew

brokok

Banned
turkey-turkish
The monster had become intertwined with the village - so integral to their way of life that Geralt decided it was safer to renew the old pacts made with the beast than to kill it.

is the sentence above thought to be adverb ?

i doubt it is the object of the relative clause because i couldn't find where to put it for there is no preposition

• se16teddy

English - England
    "Their way of life" is not a sentence. It is a noun phrase (a prepositional object) consisting of:
    1) a possessive pronoun "their" and
    2) a set expression "way of life" that functions as a noun.
    "Their way of life" all belongs to the preposition "to", and so to the adjective "integral".

The Eiffel Tower is integral to Paris.

Last edited:

brokok

Banned
    turkey-turkish
    Thanks for your replies but it is the relative clause that confuses me.

I don't know where to put that phrase in

Geralt decided their way of life was safer to renew the old pacts made with the beast than to kill it. :cross:

their way of life for which Geralt decided it was safer to renew the old pacts made with the beast than to kill it.

their way of life refers to how they live, like adverbs; happily, wisely etc.

Since i couldn't place that phrase, i'm thinking the reason for it is that it is kind of adverbial phrase.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you've been parsing it wrongly.

(The monster had become) so integral to their way of life that Geralt decided it was safer to renew the old pacts...

The monster had become so very much a part of their way of life, that Geralt decided to renew the old pacts rather than kill it.

Edit: "So" is an intensifier, and it's used with "that" to show cause and effect. The "that" clause shows the effect of the monster's being very much integrated into their way of life.

Last edited:

brokok

Banned
    turkey-turkish
    Thanks very , It never occured to me that it can be so ... that structure.
    I had mistaken ''so'' with the meaning ''result''

< Previous | Next >