then turn distant as he travels to a far-off place in the recesses of his memory

< Previous | Next >

AzahAzah

India - Hindi
"I go quickly to the garage and bring back a floppy-eared, sandy-and-white rabbit. Scott's eyes burn bright with joy, then turn distant as he travels to a far-off place in the recesses of his memory".

These has sentences have been taken from Reader's Digest, January, 2006. The name of the story from which these sentences have been taken is "Your son is in a coma", writer of which is Glenys Carl.

I couldn't understand the meanings of "....then turn distant as he travels to a far-off place in the recesses of his memory". I think, by "turn distant" the writer wanted to mean Scott went to a distant place to remember his memory that he left in his past. If my statement is true, what the functions of "as he travels to a far-off place"?

Thanks!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Scott's eyes burn bright with joy, then turn distant as he travels to a far-off place in the recesses of his memory.

It's his eyes that turn distant (you can see by the look in his eyes that he is mentally far away and not focused on the present). His is remembering things. "As" is used to show that his eyes turn distant at the same time as his mind "travels" or as a result of his mind travelling..

< Previous | Next >