Then want must be your master

< Previous | Next >
  • Sharon

United States, English
    Do you have any more context? It might be a quote from a book, but I've not heard it.

Purely as a guess, it sounds as if someone wants something so badly that he/she is being ruled by it, the act of wanting commands them. It sounds as if they have personified "want" to give it the sense of an entity. Usually a personification is capitalized, though... to make it a name.

If I live by a rigid schedule, and everything must be done at a certain time, then Time is my master.
    If I want to be rich so badly that I would kill for it, then Greed is my master.

Does that help at all?

marcelo

brazil/ portuguese
    Hello Sharon

Thanks for your help. The situation is exactly what you have guessed. I made a Google search and got 3 hits for "Then want must be your master" , 2 of them in "The Tragical Comedy, or Comical Comedy, of Punch and Judy". I was wondering if this was a more usual saying.

thanks again

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    marcelo said:
    Hello Sharon

Thanks for your help. The situation is exactly what you have guessed. I made a Google search and got 3 hits for "Then want must be your master" , 2 of them in "The Tragical Comedy, or Comical Comedy, of Punch and Judy". I was wondering if this was a more usual saying.

thanks again
    Hi Marcelo,

It's not used in casual American speech (maybe in Shakespearian theater..? :eek: ). It sounds very "theatrical", not everyday speech.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Best regards,
    Tom

mandymroth

United States, English
    marcelo said:
    Hello Sharon

thanks again

A slave to desire. (maybe, just trying to help) :)

Zycrotron

Zycrotron
    This was also used in a British television series from the 70's called "Come Back Lucy" where one of the girls says "Then want must be your master"

< Previous | Next >