therapy

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
1. Many people have turned to alternative medicine/medications for remedy/cure/therapy.

2. Many people have turned to alternative remedies/cures/therapies.

I don't know which version sounds right to you. If either sentence 1.or 2., then which word should I pick to better work? Thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    1. "medicine" and then "therapy" (both remedy and cure would not be quite grammatical)

2. "remedies" or "therapies" work equally well. I suppose "cures" is ok, but the other two are usual.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, MM.
    In terms of your reply, do you mean both samples sound right?
    In sentence 1, if remedy and cure are both replaced by plural forms,i.e. remedies and cures, do they fit?

Matching Mole

England, English
    I think the plurals would be OK but something sounds missing. Somehow, "their cures/remedies" sounds a little more natural. Also I'm not crazy about "cures" it seems dated.

my-own-fantasy

English-USA
    1. Many people have turned to alternative medicine/medications for remedy/cure/therapy.

For number one, I would use:
    Many people have turned to alternative medications for their remedies.

For number two, I would use:
    Many people have turned to alternative remedies.

But, I would definitely use number as a phrase becasue it is much more detailed.
    Hope It Helps!

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    For number one, I would use:
    Many people have turned to alternative medications for their remedies.

For number two, I would use:
    Many people have turned to alternative remedies.

But, I would definitely use number as a phrase becasue it is much more detailed.
    Hope It Helps!
    Thanks, my-own-fantasy.
    But why do you prefer medications? Does it mean medicine and medications both sound right and it's a matter pf personal style and preference?

my-own-fantasy

English-USA
    I would say that it's more of a matter of personal style and preference. I wouldn't say that any of them are wrong, that's just what I would say. :)

liliput

U.K. English
    It's very common to use "alternative therapies" and "alternative medicine" as phrases, therefore I would simply say:
    "Many people have turned to alternative therapies/medicine."
    It should be fairly obvious that they have turned to them for some kind of cure or remedy unless it's in the context of employment opportunites, for example.

AWordLover

USA English

I don't know which version sounds right to you. If either sentence 1.or 2., then which word should I pick to better work? Thanks.
    Hi All,

I've read the preceding posts and mostly agree.

In the US, alternative medicine, meaning medical treatments and practices outside the mainstream, is gaining in acceptance and is now often covered by insurance. For example, accupuncture was once considered part of alternative medicine in the US and in now (mostly) a mainstream practice.

In your example sentence the best choice depends partly on context (, as usual).

This members of this class of drugs have similar theraputic value but can cause widely different side effects. Many people have turned to alternative medications for therapy.

< Previous | Next >