There are a number of factors <that> can be accountable

clairepp

Chinese
Is this sentence ok? "There are a number of factors can be accountable for this situation."
Do I have to add "that" before "can be"?

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I think you want: "There are a number of factors that can account for this situation." And you need the "that."

Please remember to put your subject line sentence into your post – thank you.

clairepp

Chinese
    I think you want: "There are a number of factors that can account for this situation." And you need the "that."

Please remember to put your subject line sentence into your post – thank you.
    Thank you ~ I 've add my sentence in the post.
    But can I ask a further question? Did you mean that I can't use "something can be accountable for something"?

Copyright

American English
    I was just speaking of your sentence. There is nothing wrong with "The company can be held accountable for its actions."

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    But your original sentence was wrong.

"There are a number of factors [that] can be accountable for this situation."

People can be accountable (companies are people, too). That means they have responsibility for decisions made (i.e. free will to do or not do something).

Factors can't be accountable. They are not free to make decisions. They can account for a situation (meaning be part of the explanation for the situation).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There are two different meanings for the phrases "be accountable for" and "account for".

These factors account for our loss = These factors explain our loss, they are the reason for our loss.

These people are accountable for our loss = these people will have to pay us for our loss. They are responsible if we lose money. They are an insurance company.

< Previous | Next >