There are enough patriots who are risking every cent in the blockade....

< Previous | Next >

Lee Jongho

Korean
Is there anyone who can explain the meaning of the following sentence to me?

There are enough stupid patriots who are risking every cent they have in the blockade and who are going to come out of this war paupers.

The source is from Gone with the Wind by Magaret Mitchell.

• Regarding the US South (at war), some boats are trying to bring goods to them, going through a blockade at seas. Southern patriots commanding those boats are nobly risking every cent (investing in boats, buying goods) in attempting this. When they fail, they will be penniless.

The writer is comparing the true patriots with the odious Rhett Butler who's a businessman profiteering over the goods that do make it past the blockade.

passage at Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell : Chapter 13

Last edited:

Lee Jongho

Korean
    Thanks to your good explanation, I understood the part "who are risking every cent they have in the blockade"
    but I can't still understand the meaning of the part "who are going to come out of this war paupers".

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    ... but I can't still understand the meaning of the part "who are going to come out of this war paupers".
    Bennymix explains this in #2:
    "When they fail, they will be penniless."

When the war is over, these people will be paupers (they will be penniless = very poor).

Lee Jongho

Korean
    Maybe, that part has the same structure that the sentence "I was lucky to come out of the accident alive." has?...Anyway, Thanks a million.. ^^

< Previous | Next >