there are more victims of environmental disasters than those of terrorism

albert_laosong

Mandarin
Dear WR buddies, I have a question and hope you guys can help.

I'm watching an American movie, there was a line in it: There's more vodka in this piss than there is piss.
I think it should be ok to modify the sentence like this: There's more vodka than piss in this piss.

Then I searched for more similar sentences in a corpra and I got this sentence: there are immeasurably more victims of environmental disasters than there are of terrorism.
Then following the same pattern I changed it into: there are immeasurably more victims of environmental disasters than those of terrorism.
But this time, the modified one just doesn't feel right compared to the original sentence.

Can you guys help to confirm if it's natural to change it that way? thank you very much.

• owlman5

English-US
    I think it should be ok to modify the sentence like this: There's more vodka than piss in this piss.
    I do too.

But this time, the modified one just doesn't feel right compared to the original sentence.
    I don't really feel sentences, albert laosong. I agree that your paraphrase of the original sentence doesn't seem like an improvement. I haven't thought about the problem before, but I doubt that there are many one-size-fits-all transformations in English. What you do to transform one sentence may not work well in your attempt to paraphrase another sentence.

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Can you guys help to confirm if it's natural to change it that way? thank you very much.
    It is not merely unnatural, but wrong. What is the antecedent of "those"? If you want the sentence to have the same meaning as the original, it should be "victims", but arranged this way it appears to be "environmental disasters", and the sentence starts to become meaningless.

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    Many thanks, guys, I think I got you, the second modification above may cause ambiguity, I think that's why the modified sentence sounded no so right compared to the original one. Thank you.

kentix

English - U.S.
    there are immeasurably more victims of environmental disasters than those of terrorism.

You removed "there is" in the first sentence.

The equivalent in the second sentence is to remove "there are".

there are immeasurably more victims of environmental disasters than there are of terrorism (in the world).

kentix

English - U.S.
    You can have a sentence using "those" but it has to be written differently.

the victims of environmental disasters are more frequently overlooked than are those of terrorism.

< Previous | Next >