There but for the grace of God Go I

helenduffy

USA, English
When a friend has a misfortune, say her son gets a ticket for speeding, you comfort them with:

"There, but for the Grace of God, go you or I"

It means "It could happen to anyone. Only luck kept it from being us."

Do you know any similar sayings in Spanish?

• EmilyD

U.S., English
    Helen, amiga vieja,

That phrase can be found in A. A. (alcoholico anonimo) literature, probably in the Big Book, or in the Step Book. Those materials have been translated into Spanish and more languages than I can imagine!...

My adivinanza is that there is a close/literal translation.
    ejemplo: Sin la Gracia (Intervencion, Bendicion,Voluntad) de Dios...

Saludos a todos,

Nomi

lovemetender

spanish
    ¿Cuál es la traducción de esa frase? He estado buscando por la red pero no encuentro nada.

Supongo que es una cita biblica, ¿podría ser Dónde la voluntad del Señor me lleve?

Gracias por adelantado.

Masood

British English
    No sé, pero para que lo sepais los demás, creo que dicha expresión se dice cuando algo mal se pasó a alguien el cual puede que haya pasado a tí.

dilema

Spain-spanish
    When a friend has a misfortune, say her son gets a ticket for speeding, you comfort them with:

"There, but for the Grace of God, go you or I"

It means "It could happen to anyone. Only luck kept it from being us."

Do you know any similar sayings in Spanish?
    I found this expression on the BBC website and had no idea about the meaning, so this explanation has been great. The BBC text is:

I have always been a capable, confident, happy person. If I heard about someone being depressed, I'd look at their lives and think "What on earth have they got to be depressed about? They just need to pull themselves together." Then, after my first child, I had a bout of post-natal depression, complete with regular panic attacks.

Now, whatever the issue, I try to realise that until we have experienced someone's individual circumstances, we cannot make judgments on them. I try to sympathise and empathise with people, and think "there but for the grace of God go I".

In my opinion, the translation would be:

[Dios quiera] Que no me pase a mí
    Que Dios me libre [de algo así]

marinorres

Argentinean Spanish
    Siguiendo la idea de Dilema, hay una expresión en castellano que se usa con ese significado, y es:
    "Que Dios me libre y guarde"
    Saludos

< Previous | Next >