There can be greater clarity

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

When the author pictured herself in places that were a far cry from her typical vacation, she said:

...There was an adorable tiny house with a composting toilet. (Could I be the sort of person who would vacation somewhere with a composting toilet? Who WAS the sort of person who would vacation somewhere with a composting toilet?)
There can be greater clarity, sometimes, in inhabiting other people's lives than our own, and that's why vacations are so important.

(This comes from theweek.com Why I love planning vacations I'll never take by Jen Doll on October 17.)

Does 'clarity' refer to clarity about questions. That is, people can be clearer about some questions, like 'Could I be the sort of person who would vacation somewhere with a composting toilet? Who WAS the sort of person who would vacation somewhere with a composting toilet?', by inhabiting other people's lives than their own.

Thanks in advance!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Clarity" enables you to see things more clearly. In this case, the writer sees things about herself that she hadn't been aware of: My time on Airbnb is another way to consider who I am, and who I want to be.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There can be greater clarity, sometimes, in inhabiting other people's lives than our own...

I agree that by itself this is rather puzzling, or a little fuzzy. The other sentence I quoted - My time on Airbnb is another way to consider who I am, and who I want to be - seems to explain what she means.

I'm sure you've understood the general meaning:thumbsup:. My own, rather loose, paraphrase would be:

There can be greater clarity, sometimes, in inhabiting other people's lives than our own, and that's
    Sometimes things seem clearer (I can see/know myself more clearly) when I (mentally) inhabit other people's lives,
    why vacations are so important.
    and that's why vacations (real or imaginary) are so important.

< Previous | Next >