There I could learn a little about how it is to live in Cuba

< Previous | Next >

Necromancer

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello,
the whole sentence actually didn't fit in the title.
I made it up so that it would contain some of my doubts, concerning word order and how to combine the superlative of an adjective with a substantive.

"There I could learn a little about how it is to live in Cuba, and about one of the most important professionals in the world."

I can only dare to try this: "Dort könnte ich ein bisschen lernen, über"... there are so many verbs I don't even know what to do with half of them =/

Thank you.

• Hutschi

"Dort könnte ich ein bisschen lernen, über" - is quite good, ecxcept the "über" part. There is no good continuation for the sentence this way.

"Dort könnte ich ein bisschen darüber lernen, wie es ist, in Kuba zu leben, sowie über die bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt."
    The last part you can start with "und" or "sowie".
    In this example it is a little bit colloquial usage in my example - because of "lernen" does not fit well for the last part.

Better style is
    "Dort könnte ich ein bisschen darüber lernen, wie es ist, in Kuba zu leben, und Informationen über die bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt erhalten."

Last edited:

Necromancer

Brazilian Portuguese
    wow danke schön :D
    I undestood everything. My problem is to come up with these sentences.
    "sowie" could be used only if the verb was the same?

Doesn't the last part mean: "(...) about the most important professionals of the world"?
    As for what I've researched, it would be: "über einen der bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt", oder?

Last edited:

Hutschi

wow danke schön :D
    I undestood everything. My problem is to come up with these sentences.
    "sowie" could be used only if the verb was the same?

Doesn't the last part mean: "(...) about the most important professionals of the world"?
    As for what I've researched, it would be: "über einen der bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt", oder?
    It may be used with different verbs, but you can only omit a verb if it is the same for both parts.

"Dort könnte ich ein bisschen darüber lernen, wie es ist, in Kuba zu leben, und (ich könnte) Informationen über die bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt erhalten."

compare:

"Dort könnte ich ein bisschen darüber lernen,
    wie es ist, in Kuba zu leben,
    sowie Informationen über die bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt erhalten."

I marked the verb phrases, as you see, it works with different verbs.

Hutschi

What about "Dort könnte ich etwas über das Leben auf Kuba lernen"?
    This is possible.

The problem in

"Dort könnte ich ein bisschen darüber lernen, wie es ist, in Kuba zu leben, sowie über die bedeutendsten Spezialisten der Welt."

is, that "lernen" builds a kind of "zeugma" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeugma. In the fist part it is "etwas darüber lernen", in the second part it is "etwas über jemanden lernen".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >