there / in there / here / in here

sunyaer

Chinese
These are sentences that I made up myself.

1. "When I got there / in there, the gift cards had run out."

2. "Where are you?"
"I am here / in here"

Is there any difference between "got there" and "got in there", "I am here" and "I am in here"?

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    "When I got there, they ran out of gift cards." (there = some location)
    "When I got in there, they ran out of gift cards." (in there = inside the location).

Essentially they mean the same.

"I am here." (="I'm right here.", "Here I am")
    "I am in here." (="I'm in 'x' room.)
    They are very similar, as you can see.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    1. "When I got there / in there, the gift cards had run out."

2. "Where are you?"
    "I am here / in here."

Is there any difference between "got there" and "got in there", "I am here" and "I am in here"?
    Yes. "In" means inside something. You wouldn't say "When I got in there . . . " or "I am in here" unless you were inside—a room, a store, a building, whatever. If you were to meet a friend at the entrance to a restaurant, and you received a call from your friend asking "Where are you?", you'd answer "I'm here in front of the restaurant"—not "I'm in here."

sunyaer

Chinese

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Hi sunyaer, it actually says "...why they keep running out." (from the website you posted above). I think I would say it that way "they ran out of gift cards."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Sunyaer, this thread is about "in there" and "in here". If you want to ask about running out of something, that's a new question and you need to start a new thread. (That's because the threads are kept for looking things up later. If someone wants to look up the phrase "running out", they'll be able to find it only if there's a thread about it, not if it's buried under some other subject.)

< Previous | Next >