There is a large population

< Previous | Next >

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
Is the sentence below correct? I feel something odd about saying there being a population. Or is it natural?

There is a large population in Japan.

Thanks in advance.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello everyone,
    Is the sentence below correct? I feel something odd about saying there being a population. Or is it natural?

There is a large population in Japan.

Thanks in advance.
    It sounds odd to me. We might say Japan is highly populated or Japan has a high population, or even, more crudely, there are a lot of people in Japan. I suspect my worries are that what matters is population density, people/square kilometre, rather than raw numbers.

Lexiphile

England English
    I think "Japan has a high population" is stretching the meaning of "high" too much -- "large" sounds better in Thomas's sentence. Numbers can be high, but not populations.
    But the question seems to me to be about the idea of "there being" a population. That construction is certainly odd, so....

The best sentence would be "Japan has a large population."

Akasaka

Japanese
    Why? Why is this sentence odd?
    December has 31 days.
    There are 31 days in December.
    These two sentences sound correct to me. But
    Japan has a large population. -- correct
    There is a large population in Japan. --incorrect
    Why is the latter incorrect here?

Lexiphile

England English
    Why?? You can't ask "why" about the English language! (Just joking).

I think the reason ist that "there is" suggests the possibility of "there is not." December might have had 30 days, if the calendar had been so arranged. But Japan without a population is difficult to imagine.

Anyway, we didn't say it was incorrect, just that it sounds odd. In 10 years, it may become the accepted way of saying it.

< Previous | Next >