There is a retort from the leisure set about harried business travellers

< Previous | Next >

Wookie

Korea, Korean
Indeed, for every anonymous Internet commenter who complains about runaway toddlers and contraband liquids in diaper bags, there is a retort from the leisure set about harried business travelers who exhale audibly, tap their feet and otherwise express their impatience. (source)

I have trouble understanding the underlined part.
What does "set about" mean here?

• The Slippery Slide

British English
    In this sentence, set is a noun, meaning group.

"The leisure set" means "the group of people in society who travel for pleasure".

So, "There is a retort/reply/complaint (from people who travel for pleasure) about business travellers."

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    "Set" goes with "leisure". The leisure set are those people who have lots of free time to travel and enjoy themselves.

WestSideGal

English, US
    There is (also) a (verbal) response/reaction from casual travelers about pushy and rushed business travelers.

The leisure set refers to the type of traveler who is traveling for recreation rather than for business.

Does that help?

Black Sheep

England, English
    Indeed, for every anonymous Internet commenter who complains about runaway toddlers and contraband liquids in diaper bags, there is a retort from the leisure set about harried business travelers who exhale audibly, tap their feet and otherwise express their impatience. (source)

The word "set" goes with "leisure" = the leisure set = a class of people who have lots of vacations and enjoy a life of leisure.

They are seemingly annoyed by the impatient behaviour of business travellers.

Wynn Mathieson

English - United Kingdom

If you re-order the sentence as

from the leisure set there is a retort about harried business travelers who exhale audibly, etc.

I think you will see the meaning.

the leisure set = those people (that set of people) who engage in a leisure-time activity or activities

a retort = a (quickly delivered, and would-be witty) reply

Wynn

< Previous | Next >