There is Espanol Deutsch but no English Deutsch

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

I would like to add my current point of view on this matter.

The German forum is a relatively small forum, with few participants and relatively little traffic (compared to English Only or Spanish-English, for instance). The vast majority of the threads in this small forum are "German Only" or "German-English". If we moved "German-English" to a separate forum, the remaining forum would be even smaller than today.

In my opinion, a forum is interesting if there are many discussions, many questions to read and to contribute to. Therefore, I would currently not be in favor of a split. Another advantage of the structure as it is today is the following: Sometimes someone starts a question in German, but in the course of the discussion he or she finds that they cannot deal with the question in German any further. Or there may be other participants who see the thread and know the answer, but don't feel comfortable answering in German. In this case, they can switch to English without any problems. If we had the "German-English" forum as a separate forum, this would not be easily possible any more.

That's why I currently think that the structure as it is today is fine.

Last edited:

Şafak

Why do we even have the Spanish-German forum? It seems pretty meaningless to me. There's a new thread, thanks God, every two weeks which means there are two new threads a month. :confused: :confused: :confused: The traffic of the German forum itself is small.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Why do we even have the Spanish-German forum? It seems pretty meaningless to me.
    Presumably, the Spanish-German forum was started because there seemed to be enough members and threads to sustain it.
    Today, the forum has over 5,000 threads, more than the Dutch, Polish, Hungarian, Finnish or Korean forums. Do these all seem "meaningless" to you?

Şafak

Presumably, the Spanish-German forum was started because there seemed to be enough members and threads to sustain it.
    Today, the forum has over 5,000 threads, more than the Dutch, Polish, Hungarian, Finnish or Korean forums. Do these all seem "meaningless" to you?
    With all due respect, what seems meaningless to me here is your comparison. If someone wants to learn Hungarian, what other section is the person supposed to go to? There must be sections for Hungarian, Dutch and other less popular languages. As for the German section, it already exists. What's the reason to divide it into German and Spanish-German? Well, at this rate, let's create a new subforum "Arabic-German" because there are enough members in the German section who speak, know or learn Arabic. Why not? Let's create a Spanish-Hungarian forum. I believe there are some people who know the language pretty well.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Well, at this rate, let's create a new subforum "Arabic-German" because there are enough members in the German section who speak, know or learn Arabic.
    If there had been enough members, the "Arabic-German" forum would probably exist today.
    I guess it all depends on numbers (demand) that depend on language size, socio-economics and many other factors. There must be a reason why we have French-Italian or Spanish-Portuguese forums but no Greek-Slovak or Thai-Hindi.

Let's create a Spanish-Hungarian forum.
    As far as I know, it's not possible for non-staff members to create new forums.

Last edited:

S.V.

Español, México
    Decades ago they'd write about the consolidation of the Internet ('one big site for entertainment, one for purchases, one for art...') When we mention the dozen threads a month, that is the small bookstore scraping by, after Walmart and Amazon.

S.V.

Español, México
    In this specific case, it relates more to the hold Google has on the entire chain. So whatever results people get from segne dich spanisch, page 1, exist in a context in which people mostly visit the same websites every day, and any 'niche' or 'specialized' sites depend on that page 1. Consolidation does not mean 'better,' of course. You hear it instead as 'becoming a mall' (triste).

Edit: Saludos. I hope you guys are well.

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Coulda fooled me. ;) You (apparently searched for and) revived an eight-year-old thread to complain about it — with three confused smileys — and argued pretty vehemently with @AndrasBP when he gave you a reasonable response. I’m relieved to hear that it “just occurred to you.” ;)

S.V.

Español, México
    I guess here 'reaching out' also means 'being kind' matters more than 'being right', so I'm glad we could answer the question. :p

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    there was no reason to open the German-Spanish section. It was established just to establish something new.
    Exactly! 👍🏼✅💯 We had nothing else to do so we thought why not. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It'll give @Jennifer Weiss something to talk about in 14 years. 😆 See, we wanted to make sure no WRF user would ever get bored! 💜🧡🖤

Hector9

With all due respect, what seems meaningless to me here is your comparison. If someone wants to learn Hungarian, what other section is the person supposed to go to? There must be sections for Hungarian, Dutch and other less popular languages. As for the German section, it already exists. What's the reason to divide it into German and Spanish-German? Well, at this rate, let's create a new subforum "Arabic-German" because there are enough members in the German section who speak, know or learn Arabic. Why not? Let's create a Spanish-Hungarian forum. I believe there are some people who know the language pretty well.
    For the very same reason there's a "Portuguese-Spanish" and "French-Spanish".

Spanish is the second most popular and spoken language in the world by native speakers (way much more than English itself, Spanish having 100 million more native speakers than English).

German-Spanish is NOT meaningless at all.

Also, compare the numbers of the following ones:

HVcjh9W.png

Last edited: