There is mail 'says' Vs 'saying'

< Previous | Next >

babai

bangla, bangoli
Say, I am going to read a email of my brother who is sitting right next to me. What should I be supposed to say in the same case below:
1. There is a mail from your friend says, 'You are selected for the exam..........'
2. There is a mail from your friend saying 'You are selected for the exam.......'
3. There is a mail from your friend. It says, 'You are selected for the exam......'

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    1. There is a mail from your friend says, 'You are selected for the exam..........' :cross:
    2. There is a mail from your friend saying 'You are selected for the exam.......' :tick:
    3. There is a mail from your friend. It says, 'You are selected for the exam......':tick: Correct but this is not natural speech.

lingobingo

English - England
    I think the only really unnatural thing about it is “There is”, which in speech would be contracted to “There’s”.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    #2 is natural, "There's an e-mail saying ... ."

"There's an e-mail which says" or "There's an e-mail. It says ... " are rather stiff. There's no reason to use the relative or to start a new sentence. The participle is a clever way of avoiding too many words. :)

< Previous | Next >