there is no need of shame

< Previous | Next >

Sotti

Italian - Italia
Hi everyone,

I'm in trouble with the translation of the following sentence:

"This is why I am confidant today that there is no need of shame wherever it is spread in the world."
The sentence, in particular the "it is spread", is referrring to a religious doctrine.

I probably am drowning in an inch of water, but I really can't understand what "there is no need of shame" means in this context.

My attempt: "Questa è la ragione per cui sono convinto che [non ci sia bisogno di vergognarsi / non ci sia bisogno di costringere nessuno / nessuno si vergognerà ?] ovunque (questa dottrina) si diffonderà nel mondo."

Thanks in advance!

• Sotti

Italian - Italia
    Hi @Paulfromitaly

I'm translating a religious book. Who writes is discribing the goodness of a religious doctrine and because of this he is certain that "there is no need of shame wherever [the religius doctrine] is spread in the world".

Hope this is enough for the context.

Sotti

Italian - Italia
    Thank you for your support @tsoapm

So the correct translation would be:
    Questa è la ragione per cui sono convinto che non ci sia bisogno di vergognarsi (o "vergogna") ovunque (questa dottrina) si diffonderà nel mondo.

Yet, is it just my idea or it sounds a bit odd?

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Well, the English seems a little off to me, so...
    The English doesn't make it at all clear whether the people who spread the doctrine should feel no shame in spreading it (because it's good), or whether the doctrine itself allows converts to overcome shame (because it makes them virtuous). Non ci sia bisogno di vergogna strikes me as equally ambiguous, so might be the best translation. :)

Sotti

Italian - Italia
    Well, the English seems a little off to me, so...
    The English doesn't make it at all clear whether the people who spread the doctrine should feel no shame in spreading it (because it's good), or whether the doctrine itself allows converts to overcome shame (because it makes them virtuous). Non ci sia bisogno di vergogna strikes me as equally ambiguous, so might be the best translation. :)
    I understand your points. :)

I don't think "bisogno di vergogna" sounds like a natural Italian phrase.
    Maybe "Sono oggi fiducioso che si potrà diffondere senza remore ovunque nel mondo".
    Thanks for your new suggestion @Pietruzzo! That's makes the sentece far clearer, and I think it might convey the actual meaning...

Pietruzzo

Italian
    From Treccani:
    2. [spec. al plur., ciò che trattiene dall'agire: non avere remore; essere senza remore] ≈ esitazione, incertezza, indugio, ritegno, tentennamento, titubanza

I thought this was close to "no need of shame". I was wrong, as you say.
    But then, what does "no need of shame" mean?

Sotti

Italian - Italia
    Many thanks @tsoapm @Pietruzzo @Mary49 for this interesting discussion.

Since the text was translated from Japanese by (I think) non native English speakers, I understand the translation might not be very accurate, and the use of the language a bit "creative".
    I didn't know what "no need of shame" means, first. On context reverso I found that it means something like "non c'è bisogno di vergognarsi", even though there they use "no need for shame".
    However, since in Italian "non c'è bisogno di vergognarsi" sounds a bit odd to me in this context, I think I'll use @Pietruzzo suggestion, which I think holds the feeling the sentence should have in this context.

Passante

italian
    A me stona parecchio con il 'bisogno' e non lo userei:
    Non ci sia niente di cui avere vergogna
    Non ci sia niente da vergognarsi

Che bisogno ho di vergognarmi? :p

< Previous | Next >