There is no need to be afraid ...

< Previous | Next >

Amerykańska kobieta

USA
English - USA
I'm trying to clarify something I wrote to my cousins in Poland in an earlier letter. I want to convey:

There is no reason to be afraid of these cats.

So far I have
żaden powód bać się tych kotów.

I am having problem with translating the "There is" part of my English sentence. Would that be a simple "To jest ..."? And does
"żaden" require a "nie"?

• wolfbm1

Polish
    Or, assuming:

There is no reason to be afraid of these cats. = There isn't any reason to be afraid of theese cats.

Then: There isn't any reason to be afraid of theese cats. = Nie ma żadnego powodu bać się tych kotów.

I wonder if:
    There is no reason to be afraid of these cats. = There isn't a reason to be afraid of theese cats.

Anyway when want to emphasise what is somewhere, what is not (jakie rzeczy są, jakich nie ma):
    There is a dishwasher in the kitchen. W kuchni jest zmywarka do naczyń.
    [What is there in the kitchen? - A dishwasher. Co jest w kuchni? - Zmywarka.
    Another example:
    There is an apple on the table. = Na stole jest jabłko.

We couldn't say: There isn't an apple on the table. = Na stole nie ma (jakiegoś) jabłka. (Though we can say: There is an apple on the table.)

Rather: There aren't any apples on the table. = Na stole nie ma (żadnych) jabłek. NEVER: Na stole nie są (żadne) jabłka. - Bad Polish.

Now, when we want to say where is what we never use "jest/nie ma", "są/nie ma" - just "jest/nie jest" or "są/nie są" .
    Jabłko nie jest na stole. (Ono) Jest na parapecie. = The apple isn't on the table. It is on the window ledge.

Plural: Jabłka nie są na stole. (One) Są na parapecie. = The apples aren't on the table. They are on the window ledge.

Similarly it is difficult to translate into Polish: "Na tym zdjęciu jest moja siostra. " It could be translated: In this photo, there is my sister. A bit awkward. Rather: This is a photo of my sister. Or: There is my sister in this photo.

And again: "Here is Tom." is possible but "In this photo is Tom" is not.

Or "What's in your suitcase? There are two pairs of trousers, three shirts and five books in my suitcase. - could be translated: Co jest w twojej walizce? W walizce są dwie pary spodni, trzy koszule i pięć książek.

I hope I've made a point.

< Previous | Next >