there is no other place in the world, you do not want to go diving unprotected than this place

sophi979

Serbo-Croatian
Hi,

This is from a documentary about white sharks.
A researcher is about to go diving in a special anti-shark cage. He is probably in the most dangerous stretch of sea in the world.
He says:

It’s the only way of going down there. And there is no other place in the world, you do not want to go diving unprotected than this place.

(I have kept the punctuation of the transcript, but I'm not sure about the coma... He does make a slight pause in speech there though)

Can you tell me what the sentence in bold means?

• spirals

English - England
    The bold sentence doesn't make sense unfortunately. Either it's been typed wrong or his thoughts were jumping around. I guess it means:
    "This is the place in the world where I would least like to dive unprotected"

Matching Mole

England, English
    The speaker seems to have started a sentence without thinking through how he is going to end it and has ended disastrously. No wonder he paused; however a comma would be wrong here as it creates a comma splice as "you do not want..." begins a defining clause.

This sort of thing can happen when speaking extemporaneously (without a script); no one would possibly have written this. He's tried to make a comparison without using a comparative adverb: e.g. "less" (or is it "more"?) and with very awkward use of negatives.

This makes a bit more sense with the least changes. It's still a truly terrible sentence:
    "And there is no other place in the world you would not want to go diving unprotected more than this place."

This might be a little more comprehensible, but still awkward:
    "And there is no other place in the world you would less want to go diving unprotected than this place."

It is the world's [least desirable [most dangerous] place in which to go diving without protection.

If you have to transcribe it exactly as spoken then do not use a comma as this would be incorrect.

< Previous | Next >