There is <no right away> for Connie

Discussion in 'English Only' started by longxianchen, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM.

1. longxianchen Senior Member

chinese
    Hi,
    Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 422, chapter 18) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
    (background: Hilda told Mellorsthat Duncan problably would agree to be names as co-respondent, which surprised Mellors. THe didn't want to shift the blame on others. Then Hilda said…)

‘We could go right away,’ he said.

There is no right away for Connie,’ said Hilda. ‘Clifford is too well known.’
    Again the silence of pure frustration.

I never saw no modifies away(adv). So I feel the blue sentence to be there is no (going) away directly(=right).
    Is that right please?
    Thank you in advance

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM
  2. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    "No 'right away' for Connie" means that in this situation she cannot act without delay.

3. longxianchen Senior Member

chinese
    That is to say, right away is a set phrase in there is not right away for Connie.
    But does the right in we could go right away mean directlyby the way, go away is a set phrase here)?

And I didn't see no plus adv structure.

4. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    "Right away" is a set phrase meaning immediately. "Directly" in one of its meanings is appropriate for the whole phrase not just "right".

5. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    I think 'right away' means 'a long way away', not 'immediately'. Her social position would make it difficult for her just to disappear.

Another quote with 'right away':

6. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    right away = immediately

It's a set phrase. I'm uncertain if the "right" has a specific meaning here.

‘We could go immediately,’ he said.
    ‘There is no immediately for Connie,’ said Hilda. (Connie is unable to do this thing immediately.)

Cross-posted with Szkot

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM
  7. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    Reading it again I think Szkot (post #5) is correct. "Clifford is too well known" implies that they would be recognised anywhere so they can't get away far enough.

I hadn't considered that interpretation originally.

8. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I agree that second interpretation sounds plausible. The reason I didn't think about it is I speak American English and we don't use right in that manner at all.

9. longxianchen Senior Member

chinese
    But if right away means a long way away, no right away should be a short way away. That is, Connie could easily go/leave.
    Do you mean you give up your interpretation in post 5, and agree with Retired-teacher's in the second post?

10. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    You need to read it as ". . . no 'right away' for Connie" with the "right away" said as verbally italicised (if that makes sense). In other words no chance of getting far enough away.

11. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I'm not post #5, I'm #6. But yes, I give up my interpretation in #6 and agree with Retired Teacher that #5 by Szkot is probably correct. Context from the rest of the book should tell for sure.

"Right away" in this interpretation is two independent words, not a phrase. It means far away, i.e. far enough to be out of the influence of Clifford. Hilda say there is no place, not even far, to escape Clifford's influence.

This use of right is very British and I'm having a hard time thinking of a clear explanation of it. Maybe someone who speaks BE could make it clearer. Right away means far away in this specific example but that doesn't mean right means far, it's more complicated.

[Cross-posted]

12. longxianchen Senior Member

chinese
    Thank you very very much, everybody. I get it now.