There is not a conductor <but> resists

< Previous | Next >

Gregor1

Chinese
There is not a conductor but resists the flow of the electrical charges.

How to parse this sentence from a pure grammatical point of view? Does "but" acts as relative pronoun like "that"?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US

It's an old syntax, rarely used nowadays in the US. You can replace "but" with a few words:

There is not a conductor except for one that resists the flow of the electrical charges.

This means:

With no exceptions, every conductor resists the flow of the electrical charges.

Gregor1

Chinese
    It is the normal conjunction of contrast.
    If "but" functions as a conjunction, then a complete sentence should follow it. In this sense, There is not a conductor but the one resists the flow of the electrical charges.

Gregor1

Chinese

It's an old syntax, rarely used nowadays in the US. You can replace "but" with a few words:

There is not a conductor except for one that resists the flow of the electrical charges.

This means:

With no exceptions, every conductor resists the flow of the electrical charges.
    It makes perfect sense right now. However, I am wondering what memeber of the sentence it serves. Like tunaafi said below, it acts as a conjunction, that being the case, why isn't there a subject?

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    It makes perfect sense right now. However, I am wondering what memeber of the sentence it serves. Like tunaafi said below, it acts as a conjunction, that being the case, why isn't there a subject?
    It's not working as a conjunction.

It is an old fashioned formal usage where but is equivalent to "who doesn't " or "that doesn't."

I recognize it from reading 19th century literature.

I can't invent a sample off the top of my heaf because I would never use it this way.

< Previous | Next >