there is still a day for

< Previous | Next >

heather 1997

Cantonese-China
hi, friends, please do me a favor. I wrote a sentence:"I graduated from high school and left my former teachers there, but there is still a day for me to need their help." My classmate said "there is still a day" is wrong, it should be "but one day I still need their help." Which expression is correct? Thank you!

• Copyright

American English
    "I graduated from high school and left my former teachers there, but one day I may still need their help."

Your friend is close, but you need "may" in there, to allow for the possibility of your needing help.

heather 1997

Cantonese-China
    Thanks for your reply, but why is it wrong to say "there is still a day for someone to do something"? I still cannot understand, for I found some sentences in the internet, such as: "There is a day for the sun to shine,” she continues. “Now the sun is shining in our life.” Just two years ago, her family received their permanent residency status, ...

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You'll find a lot of weird stuff on the Internet:rolleyes:. Copyright has given you a perfect suggestion.

"There is still a day" implies that there is still one day (left to do something). "There is still a day for me to need their help" if it means anything would probably mean "By tomorrow I will need their help" :confused:. "Tomorrow" would be literally "within 24 hours".

The deadline approaches, but there's still a day left for me to finish writing my essay.

< Previous | Next >