; (there is?) the uncertain pace of the hours when I would wake ....

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his childhood; he is now in custody by his stepfather in his room.
He lives with his mother, Peggotty the only maid of his house, his stern stepfather Mr. Murdstone, and Mr. Mudstone's eccentric elder sister in his late father's house.

The length of those five days I can convey no idea of to anyone. They occupy the place of years in my remembrance. The way in which I listened to all the incidents of the house that made themselves audible to me: the ringing of bells, the opening and shutting of doors, the murmuring of voices, the footsteps on the stairs; to any laughing, whistling, or singing outside, which seemed more dismal than anything else to me in my solitude and disgrace; the uncertain pace of the hours, especially at night, when I would wake thinking it was morning, and find that the family were not yet gone to bed, and that all the length of night had yet to come; ~
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know if "there is" omitted before "the uncertain pace."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Glasguensis, for your very kind answer. :)
    Then I was wondering what role the noun phrase "the uncertain pace of the hours" after the semi colon plays.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Glasguensis, for your message.
    I think the noun phrase as the substitute for a sentence plays the role of an apposition, additional explanation of a part or the whole of the former sentence.
    So I was wondering why here can come a noun phrase, not a sentence.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    This is a list - the first item in the list runs from the beginning of the sentence until the semicolon - this is the second item. The list is introduced by the previous sentence.
    As was mentioned in your other thread, this is an extremely long and complex sentence, which doesn't lend itself easily to grammatical analysis. Do not try to understand it by analysing the grammar.

< Previous | Next >