There is tons of garbage?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by alsoup, Jan 13, 2014.

1. alsoup Senior Member

Hello everyone

Which one is the correct option?

I. There is tons of garbage
    II. There are tons of garbage

Isn't the second one correct? Even though ''garbage" is uncountable, we have '' tons of'' so we need plural, right?

On the other hand, I've noticed that a lot of native speakers tend to use "There is" for everyhting! Even when it comes to plural -''There is a lot of people..'' - which I have no clue if it is considered grammatically correct.
  2. KHS

KHS Senior Member

Yes, you need the plural "there are."

You are also right that, in spoken English, there are increasing instances of people saying "There is" even when it is followed by a plural.
  3. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

English - US (Midwest)
    Technically, "There is a lot of people" is correct, because "a lot" is singular. But it's much more common to hear "There are a lot of people."
  4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK

Hi alsoup

Today, people often use There's in both singular and plural contexts.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised at There's tons of garbage, alongside There are tons of garbage.

I would, however, be very surprised at There is tons of garbage:).
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. alsoup Senior Member

ohh it's all about the contraction then! :p
    Thank you
  6. KHS

KHS Senior Member

In my understanding, "a lot of" works as a quantifier, like "many" (or "much" with non-count nouns).

There are a lot of books on the table.
    There is a lot of rice in the bowl.

"Lots of" also works like a quantifier, not like a noun:

There is lots of rice in the bowl.
    There are lots of books on the table.

"A number of" and "The number of" work differently, with "a number of" taking a plural verb, but "The number of" taking a singular verb.

A number of books are on the table.
    The number of books on the table is quite large.

I think the use of "There is" with a plural noun is found most often in speaking, and is almost always with the contraction "There's"