There it is again/ there you go again

< Previous | Next >

Eric Chengdu

Chinese
(Two friends are talking, one might say something the other person doesn't like to hear or one person doesn't like the way the other person talks to him and becomes angry)
A: There it is again/There you go again. (which one is better in this situation?:confused:)
B: what?
A: what? you talking down to me like you always do.

Last edited:
  • Eric Chengdu

Chinese
    Please provide us with a context.
    Two friends are talking, one might say something the other person doesn't like to hear or one person doesn't like the way the other person talks to him and becomes angry, and then he says "there it is again" as i wrote above. How about "there you go again"? Thanks

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    "there you go again"
    This is more personal and dismissive, which you seem to intend and if so, is spot on. It's quite common.
    "there it is again" seems to me to be more third party and perhaps trying to deflect the heat of the message, but which (in my opinion) probably won't work.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I agree with sdg. ''There you go again'', with an exclamation mark, which my pc won't make right now, is exactly right when someone starts once more on an annoying topic.
    We can also say ''There he/she/goes/they go again, or even ''Here we go again''.
    I'm not sure when we might say ''Here it goes again''. Perhaps. for example. when looking at an Icelandic geyser on the point of erupting.

Eric Chengdu

Chinese
    Thank you both for your help, I totally agree with you. :thumbsup: To me, "there you go again" makes more sense, that's why I posted this question. But "there it is again" is exactly what the person uses. So i think i need to provide more context to let you know more about what's going on about the conversation they have. Not sure "there you go again" is still better than "there it is again":confused:

(original text:)
    A: My advice... just try and keep the conversation light. Everything shouldn't be about capitalism and oppression.
    B: I dream of that utopia, too, brother, but we're only gonna get there by talking about it.
    A: Boring. It's like going on a date with Huntley and Brinkley.
    B: You know, women don't mind substantive conversation,but I understand if it's not your thing.
    A: And there it is again.
    B: What?
    A:"What?" You talking down to me like you always do.
    B: You just called me boring.
    A:You've been laying this condescension trip on me all day, and all my life,like you're so insightful and I'm so dumb.

< Previous | Next >