there should be mentioned

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Schildy, Dec 7, 2018 at 4:05 PM.

1. Schildy New Member

German
    Can a native speaker please tell me if the phrase "There should be mentioned that..." exists? I've always used "It should be mentioned that..." and wouldn't use the first one.
    I noticed several people using it, however. In formal writing they started sentences like "First of all, there should be mentioned that many politicians do not..."

2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    No, "there should be mentioned that..." is incorrect. It's either "it should be mentioned that" or "there should be mentioned X," with X being a noun (or noun phrase), but in general the latter would sound awkward.

3. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    I would never use that. Am I missing something? How is this used?
    There should be mentioned calculus. (I don't understand this)

English uses "there is" to mean "exists", and "should be" is a form of "is", so this is fine:
    "There should be pudding for dessert." (Pudding should exist, for dessert).

Other than that use (combining "there" with "to be"), the word "there" isn't a dummy subject or a pronoun. It cannot replace the pronoun / dummy subject "it".

4. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    As I said, it would be awkward, but grammatically I don't see any problem with "there should be mentioned + noun." A few random examples (as ugly as they are):

And there should be mentioned, as close to the Platonic range, the Aristotelian philia, the experiential nucleus of true community between mature men; and ...

Among reducers there should be mentioned bivalent iron, manganese, and sulfur (negative), trivalent chromium and vanadium, and many organic compounds.

In addition there should be mentioned the abundant explanatory inscriptions attached to wall-scenes as a secondary element in those compositions.