There was a blur of face, a cough as the car started and made a brushstroke of color in the road

sobhan

PERSIAN
There was a blur of face, a cough as the car started and made a brushstroke of color in the road. When it was gone, Elizabeth walked to the bathroom, kept her eyes down so as not to see her face, and used the sink to rinse spray from her hair.
What does "There was a blur of face, a cough as the car started and made a brushstroke of color in the road." mean?
Source: Redemption Road
Author: John Hart

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Not really sure, but without more context it sounds like Elizabeth saw a face, indistinct features, possibly unrecognisable. And she heard a cough. Then the car started and accelerated so fast that its colour, too, became blurry - very much like a brushstroke of colour; as when a painter paints on a canvass.

sobhan

PERSIAN
    Not really sure, but without more context it sounds like Elizabeth saw a face, indistinct features, possibly unrecognisable. And she heard a cough. Then the car started and accelerated so fast that its colour, too, became blurry - very much like a brushstroke of colour; as when a painter paints on a canvass.
    There has been a hairdresser to cut her hair. when the hairdresser finished cutting her hair, her husband called her and Elizabeth talked to him.

suzi br

English / England
    I took the “cough” to be the noise of the car starting. It’s almost a cliché to say a car coughs into life.

The brushstroke of colour as it moved off is very artistic. And highly improbable unless this is an F1 sports car moving super fast.

The use of “blur” and brushstroke both suggest speed in the car and lack of focus for the viewer.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I took the “cough” to be the noise of the car starting. It’s almost a cliché to say a car coughs into life.
    :thumbsup: Yes, I hesitated here a bit. One does not expect such speeds from a car that coughs into life, so I associated the cough with the blurry face. :) I would have expected the engine to purr like a cat if it worked well. :) But I suppose you are right - after all the cough was heard as the car started.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Could it be a rainy night - accounting for the blurry face and the blurry car?

lingobingo

English - England
    The person leaving (Carol) is the one who was doing Elizabeth’s hair for her, and it’s Carol who drives away, her face a blur because Elizabeth is in shock, having just been told about a shooting.

Redemption Road

< Previous | Next >