[there was no power] in that smooth-skinned face of a full oval shape

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 18

Quotation: His features were regular, but too relaxed: his eye was large and well cut, but the life looking out of it was a tame, vacant life—at least so I thought.
But I liked his physiognomy even less than before: it struck me as being at the same time unsettled and inanimate. His eye wandered, and had no meaning in its wandering: this gave him an odd look, such as I never remembered to have seen. For a handsome and not an unamiable-looking man, he repelled me exceedingly: there was no power in that smooth-skinned face of a full oval shape: no firmness in that aquiline nose and small cherry mouth; there was no thought on the low, even forehead; no command in that blank, brown eye.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. The main problems are the four "there was no...". I try to interpret it as "there was no power in that smooth-skinned face of a full oval shape (his face indicated no masculinity/he didn't have a face of powerful man): no firmness in that aquiline nose and small cherry mouth (his nose and mouth indicated no firmness or determination); there was no thought on the low, even forehead (his forehead indicated no the capacity or faculty of thinking, reasoning, etc.); no command in that blank, brown eye (his eye wasn't commanding/his eye didn't have the air, tone, etc., of command)". Is it correct?

• suzi br

English / England
    Aye, you are good. ;)
    In my idiom I would gloss as = "he looked handsome but gormless"- which is BE informal for "dull / stupid".

< Previous | Next >