There was only one class nowadays: moneyboys. [ D.H. Lawrence]

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 51) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
Connie thought, how extremely like all the rest of the classes the lower classes sounded. Just the same thing over again, Tevershall or Mayfair or Kensington. There was only one class nowadays: moneyboys. The moneyboy and the moneygirl, the only difference was how much you’d got, and how much you wanted.

I feel the part in blue is a little messy in logic:
Logically, "moneyboys" should refer to "all the people", including "moneyboy" and "moneygirl". But literally, "moneyboys" refers to only "money-loving boys", in which case it would be a little messy in logic, because "one class" should include the whole society, not only "boys", and "the moneyboy" and "the moneygirl" is just part of the "one class".

Maybe, "moneyboys" here implies that all people behave as boys.
Could you give me some explanations please?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • longxianchen

chinese
    Now, I have read the context again and again, finding some related sentences:
    1.She taught Sunday school for thirty years, till her father died. And then she started carrying on with a fellow from Kinbrook
    2.Why they(old men) are a lot worse than the young, and a sight more disgusting
    3.But there you are, grown-ups are worse than the children: and the old ones beat the band
    4.Folks does as they like
    5.They’re mad for clothes. And boys the same.
    6.The women are positive demons
    7.The girls are as free as the lads.

Based on the sentences above, I feel that all the people, men and women, boys and girls, are all mad for money. That's why Lawrence said "moneyboys", meaning "boy-like people who love money", not only boys.
    Is that possible?

< Previous | Next >