There will be a concert played by Beethoven today

< Previous | Next >

SRPGgamer

Chinese
Hi guys~

"There will be a concert played by Beethoven today." <--- It sounds a little bit weird to me.. would you mind fixing it for me?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello SRPGgamer,
    Indeed, it sounds weird. Beethoven is dead. Dead people usually don't play concerts.

Why don't you give us a paraphrase--tell us what information you want to convey to your reader. Then you, or we, can try to fix the announcement about a dead composer.

SRPGgamer

Chinese
    Hi cuchuflete, Actually I was trying to translate a sentence from Chinese to English which is what I have posted on.

Anyawy it's just simple sentence. a statement saying that "Today, He( Beethoven ) is going to performance at a concert. That's all.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    The problem is either with the original or with the translation.

I can only guess that the original didn't intend to say that a dead composer and pianist is going to perform. More likely, it tried to say that —

1— There will be a musical performance today.
    2— The performance will include works by Beethoven.
    3— The performer(s) will be ______________.

Elwintee

England English
    The problem is either with the original or with the translation.

I can only guess that the original didn't intend to say that a dead composer and pianist is going to perform. More likely, it tried to say that —

1— There will be a musical performance today.
    2— The performance will include works by Beethoven.
    3— The performer(s) will be ______________.
    A shorter version, which most English speakers would find OK I think would be: "There will be a Beethoven concert today". This means the music would be by Beethoven - but performed by other, living people! :)

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Could the original not be correct if it was a report from the 19th century announcing a performance by Beethoven? I think perhaps a little more context would be useful. What is the original Chinese document about, RSPGgamer?

liliput

U.K. English
    I agree with cycloneviv. Without context, we don't know if this is a contemporary document or not - Beethoven may have been alive at the time it was written. In any case, Elwintee's "There will be a Beethoven concert today" works fine for me.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    You could also say "There will be a concert of Beethoven's works today" :)

< Previous | Next >