Therefore, it would soothe their souls to see me in watches

Katty MHT

Vietnamese
"Let me see. More than half of the watches in my little jewelry box are presents from my family and friends. And by that I mean 3 pieces since I only own 4 in total. They all know I am not extremely fond of collecting these types of accessories but make-up kits and the likes. Therefore, it would soothe their souls to see me in watches because according to them, time is so precious that I need to be reminded every second. " Can you help me?

• Flooooooooor

English - USA
    Hi Katty MHT,

Sure! I am not sure what part of the sentence you are having difficulty with, so let's break it down into parts. Le'ts call the speaker "X".

"according to them" --> them refers to the X's family and friends who gave the watches as presents. I'll substitute this in for the pronoun.
    "according to my family and friends, time is so precious that I need to be reminded every second." --> the family and friends believe that time is very precious, or very important and valuable. Unlike other things that are not important or valuable, or only a little important and valuable, the family and friends believe that time is important and valuable enough to make it something that X should think about every second.

"it would soothe their souls" --> it wold make the X's family and friends feel relieved. Right now the family and friends are worried about something so their souls are agitated. But if their souls are soothed, it means that they wold find relief from that worry. But what would soothe their souls?
    "it would soothe their souls to see me in watches" --> if the family and friends could see X wearing watches regularly during day-to-day life, they would worry less. This is because if X is wearing a watch, X will probably think about time a lot more often, or in other words X will be reminded of time very often. Remember, the family and friends say that X should be reminded of time every second because time is that precious!

Hope this helps.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I agree with Flo'r, but I find the original strange. (Where is it from, by the way, Katty? You're supposed to tell us.)

Since virtually nobody wears more than one watch, why "to see me in watches"? I would expect "to see me in a watch... to see me wearing a watch".

Katty MHT

Vietnamese
    Hi Katty MHT,

Sure! I am not sure what part of the sentence you are having difficulty with, so let's break it down into parts. Le'ts call the speaker "X".

"according to them" --> them refers to the X's family and friends who gave the watches as presents. I'll substitute this in for the pronoun.
    "according to my family and friends, time is so precious that I need to be reminded every second." --> the family and friends believe that time is very precious, or very important and valuable. Unlike other things that are not important or valuable, or only a little important and valuable, the family and friends believe that time is important and valuable enough to make it something that X should think about every second.

"it would soothe their souls" --> it wold make the X's family and friends feel relieved. Right now the family and friends are worried about something so their souls are agitated. But if their souls are soothed, it means that they wold find relief from that worry. But what would soothe their souls?
    "it would soothe their souls to see me in watches" --> if the family and friends could see X wearing watches regularly during day-to-day life, they would worry less. This is because if X is wearing a watch, X will probably think about time a lot more often, or in other words X will be reminded of time very often. Remember, the family and friends say that X should be reminded of time every second because time is that precious!

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your help 😄

Katty MHT

Vietnamese
    I agree with Flo'r, but I find the original strange. (Where is it from, by the way, Katty? You're supposed to tell us.)

Since virtually nobody wears more than one watch, why "to see me in watches"? I would expect "to see me in a watch... to see me wearing a watch".
    Oh it's from here

Attachments

< Previous | Next >