<therefore requiring determining> the most appropriate ventilation procedure in each case

< Previous | Next >

LuisPT

spanish - Spain
Hi everyone!

I've just found this text in a document:

The flow of air to be supplied and the way to supply such air will depend on the characteristics of the space and the level of existing contamination, therefore requiring determining the most appropriate ventilation procedure in each case.

I find strange the way it is drafted. Is it ok? Or one of these would be a better choice:
...therefore requiring to determine the most appropriate ventilation procedure in each case.
...therefore the most appropriate ventilation procedure must be determined in each case.

Thank you very much!!

• wolfram_beta

English - American
    I agree that this sentence is a mouthful and could probably be improved for readability.

Your first suggestion is not grammatically correct. You'd have to say "therefore requiring you [or: one] to determine..." I like your second suggestion, but using it would require the use of a semi-colon before "therefore" or making the "therefore" clause its own sentence.

Another possibility is:

"...therefore requiring the most appropriate ventilation procedure to be determined in each case."

LuisPT

spanish - Spain
    I agree that this sentence is a mouthful and could probably be improved for readability.

Your first suggestion is not grammatically correct. You'd have to say "therefore requiring you [or: one] to determine..." I like your second suggestion, but using it would require the use of a semi-colon before "therefore" or making the "therefore" clause its own sentence.

Another possibility is:

"...therefore requiring the most appropriate ventilation procedure to be determined in each case."
    ah you are right! Perfect, thank you very much! :)

< Previous | Next >