Thereof VS. therefor

< Previous | Next >

shelley808

Chinese
What's the difference between "thereof" and "therefor".
For example, can I use any one of both in the following sentence?

the number of divided timings for ejecting the processing liquid and the method therefor/thereof is not limited to the above-described embodiments.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    No, you can only use "thereof" in this sentence. Think of it as "the method of that process".

"Therefor" means for that.

Keep in mind that both of these words are rarely used outside of legal circles these days and sound odd to my ear in most other contexts.

JamesM

"Thereof" and "therefor" function very much as if they were "of it/them" and "for it/them". Neither one quite seems to fit the sentence, in my opinion. If you mean "the number of divided timings... and the method (of divided timings)" it would be reasonable to use "thereof", but I think it could be said more simply and clearly.

I am honestly not sure what the sentence is meant to communicate.

"Therefor" is rarely used in my experience. It might be used in legal or academic settings but rarely in everyday business documents, as far as I know. It would be too easy to confuse it with "therefore", which is pronounced exactly the same way. I can imagine it in a sentence like: "The exact nature of the penalty and the reasons therefor are not public knowledge", but I would not use the word, personally.

"Thereof" is also rare but more common than "therefor" (or "thereto", for that matter).

I am not sure what "embodiments" means in your sentence. I understand the word "embodiment" but it appears to be used in a very unusual way here.

shelley808

Chinese
    Thank you to JamesM and Dimcl.

You let me learn more about the English langage.
    As you have pointed out, this is really a sentence from an Leagal article. In this article, the "embodiment" means an example for realizing an object of the applicant.

So, Can I understand the "the first thing and another thing thereof/therefor" as the following respectly?

the first thing, and another thing which is of the first thing.
    the first thing, and another thing which is for the first thing.

< Previous | Next >