There's more bacteria ...

Martina87

italian
Hi all, today I'm seeing some short-videos about "5 Incredible Fact" about several topics in the world, in the last one I watched, I read this description in the subtitles:

"There's more bacteria in your mouth than ..."

I think it's totally wrong using "there is" with "more bacteria" since bacteria is a plural noun (it means "germs" according to my Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English).

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hi Martina---Welcome to WR! :)

If you just type "there is / there are" into the search box, you will get lots of thread you can read, that address your topic.
    <Links removed, as only a few are pertinent to the question>

Last edited by a moderator:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There is some disagreement about how acceptable this singular "there's" is, when it's used with a plural noun.

If the phrase had been written in full: "There are more bacteria in your mouth...", then that would be the only correct version.

However in speech we prefer the shortened form "there's".

The shortened form "there're" takes a bit more effort to pronounce :D, and many people avoid it, so they use "there's + plural noun" instead, especially in speech. I think that what you heard in the video or saw in the transcript is fine for casual speech.

Added: one of the several relevant threads, where you can see various opinions:
    "there's" and "there're"

< Previous | Next >