There's no one with (the) responsibility to take care of you

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, I've created the following sentence but I don't know if "the" is needed:

Grow up and look after yourself! There's no one with (the) responsibility to take care of you.

To me, both versions sound completely normal but I know I can't just rely on sound. Is the "the" necessary? Many thanks!

• miba54

English - British
    The second sentence sounds unnatural to me with or without the "the." But if you want to use this sentence, "the" is needed, otherwise the sentence means something else.

I would say: "Grow up and look after yourself. Nobody is responsible for taking care of you." or "Nobody is obligated to take care of you."

Last edited:

miba54

English - British
    "to bear" is the verb usually used with "responsibility."

No one bears the responsilibity of taking care of you.

Also, you can only use "responsible for" or "bears the responsibility of" in this context. To be responsible to something or someone means something else entirely. You can check out this thread for more information on "responsible to" -> be responsible to/for

EdisonBhola

Korean
    "to bear" is the verb usually used with "responsibility."

No one bears the responsilibity of taking care of you.

Also, you can only use "responsible for" or "bears the responsibility of" in this context. To be responsible to something or someone means something else entirely. You can check out this thread for more information on "responsible to" -> be responsible to/for
    Thanks a lot. I have created another sentence. Does my use of "bear the responsibility of" sound natural to you?

This canteen was filthy and the ceiling was leaky and it was obvious that no one bore the responsibility of fixing these problems?

Thank you so much!

miba54

English - British
    Your sentence is grammatically correct but I think it's too wordy for this context. You can simply say:

"...it was obvious that no one was responsible for fixing these problems."
    "...it was obvious that no one was in charge of fixing these problems."

Last edited:

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Your sentence is grammatically correct but I think it's too wordy for this context. You can simply say:

"...it was obvious that no one was responsible for fixing these problems."
    "...it was obvious that no one was in charge of fixing these problems."
    Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >