"There's so much glitter" vs "it's so much glitter"

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
Hello friends, I would like to know which of these is best for a setting similar to the one I'm about to describe. Children have been playing with glitter on a table and when you see it you say "oh my gosh, there's /it's so much glitter".

Thanks a lot.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "oh my gosh, There's /it's so much glitter!" (Does anyone say "Oh my gosh!" any longer?) - If you want an interjection, "Wow! ..."

Packard

USA, English
    "oh my gosh, There's /it's so much glitter!" (Does anyone say "Oh my gosh!" any longer?) - If you want an interjection, "Wow! ..."
    Goldarn it, yes we do!:D

I agree with Paul both for the sentence and the infrequency of "oh my gosh".

I might say "Zounds!" but that would be for humor.

Fancythat

English
    I agree with what is said above, in your example it should be "There's so much glitter."
    I would not say that "Oh my gosh" is a common expression, but I don't think that anyone would look at you funny if you used it.

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
    Yeah, thanks, actually I heard that sentence in a quite popular vlog from USA, I mean he's a native. For the "it's so much.."part I must have understood wrongly, that was actually my question, the second part, I played it a couple of times and I heard "it's" but I'm very bad at understanding spoken English, so that must be it. Thanks again for your time.

srk

English - US
    Holy moly! I don't get it srk, could you explain it in a different way, please?
    I'm not referring to the context in the OP, Mike. I'm saying what "It's so much glitter" can mean in other contexts. There is a saying that "all that glitters is not gold." The meaning I am referring to might derive from that. I'm looking for a convincing example, and I'll include it here as an edit when I've found one.

Edit:

From our dictionary for glitter:

3. showy splendor;
    ....false attractiveness:[uncountable]
    ....the glitter of fame.

The award ceremony was just so much glitter. The awards were not deserved and the organization making them is considered a sham.

Last edited:

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
    Oh, OK. I understand now. Yeah, I think I can picture a scene with your meaning,we've got a literal translation of that saying in Spanish.Plus you
    made it quite clear. Thanks for that.

< Previous | Next >