Thermoman's Accent

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
Actor Ardal O'Hanlon plays 'Thermoman' in the Birtish TV show My Hero. He has a curious accent which I couldn't place by myself. I saw on the Internet that he was born in Ireland, so it must be an Irish accent, but I had heard other people with Irish accents before, and his seemed a bit different. Is it really an unusual accent for an Irishman, or did I just have a wrong impression?

• Brioche

Australia English
    Ardal O'Hanlon does have an Irish accent.
    He hails from County Monaghan, in the north of the Republic of Ireland.

Monaghan is one of the anomolies of Ireland. Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal are counties of Ulster, but not part of Northern Ireland, which is often referred to as Ulster.

Although Ireland is a relatively small country, (5.7 million) it has many, many accents.
    Ireland has 32 counties, and most counties have more than one recognizable (to the locals) accent.

Ardal's father Rory was a member of parliament in Dublin, and Minister for Health and Social Welfare

timpeac

English (England)
    It has always sounded a clearly southern-Irish accent to me. I wonder if the Irish people you know are from the north of the island because, although there are many different accents, they fall into 2 broad camps, north and south, which are very different from each other.

Brioche

Australia English
    I think you're over-simplifying the situation.

Donegal is the most northerly part of Ireland, but is part of the Republic of Ireland - often called "Southern Ireland" to distinguish it from "Northern Ireland". So do they have a northern accent in Donegal?

Dividing Irish accents into north and south, is like diving Britain into Scottish and English accents, and then lumping Dover in with Durham.

timpeac

English (England)
    Brioche said:
    I think you're over-simplifying the situation.

Donegal is the most northerly part of Ireland, but is part of the Republic of Ireland - often called "Southern Ireland" to distinguish it from "Northern Ireland". So do they have a northern accent in Donegal?

Dividing Irish accents into north and south, is like diving Britain into Scottish and English accents, and then lumping Dover in with Durham.

Of course, you can't know every intricacy of every range of every accent everywhere.

I think my proviso

although there are many different accents, they fall into 2 broad camps

is a fair warning that a whole heapload of generalisation is coming...

kiro

UK / English
    I have some relatives from County Cavan close to the Monaghan border and I think their accent is fairly similar to Ardal O'Hanlon's, although probably a bit more "country" sounding; I guess he has lost some of that from living in Dublin, London or wherever.
    I wouldn't say that he had a particularly unusual accent and I'm sure that it would be instantly recognised as Irish by anyone here (in England).
    Most people here tend to associate a "Northern" Irish accent with the one from Belfast, so anything that doesn't sound vaguely similar would most likely be classed as being from the south, and so it doesn't surprise me that it sounds that way to Tim also.
    As Brioche has mentioned, County Donegal is the most northerly part of Ireland, but funnily enough I think the accent there is quite different from the one in Derry, for example, just over the border.
    Anyway, wait for some replies from real Irish people. ;)