These days, more and more young people are not traveling abroad

< Previous | Next >

magic dragon feeders

Japanese
I'd appreciate it if someone would answer my question. Thanks in advance.

A. These days, more and more young people are not traveling abroad due to the deteriorating condition of public safety.

B: These days, fewer and fewer young people are traveling abroad due to the deteriorating condition of public safety.

C: These days, not as many young people as before are traveling abroad due to the deteriorating condition of public safety.

D: These days, as many young people or not as many young people as before are traveling abroad due to the deteriorating condition of public safety.

In a lesson for practicing essay-writing skills, one of my students wrote A, whereas the model answer was B.
I was puzzled by his answer. I suppose A means both B and C (or D), so it's ambiguous. Am I right?
Is there any other interpretation for A?

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Sentence A is unnatural, unless maybe your point would were that more young people were refusing to travel abroad.

Your sentences B and C have exactly the same meaning, while D makes no sense at all.

Oahawhool

New Jersey 70's English
    'more and more are' and 'fewer and fewer are not' both seem perfectly legitimate english for the same outcome.
    No fault with the language with either choice, looks like a personal preference.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    If you want to use "more and more", then
    A. These days, more and more young people are refraining from traveling abroad due to the deteriorating condition of public safety.​

< Previous | Next >