These or those

< Previous | Next >

Saul Sayers

Indonesian
"Animals such as probosis monkey, orangutan, and rhinos are endangered. Although many organizations try to save them, it is still very hard to save these/those species"

Which do i choose?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    1. This (pl. These) - pronoun and determiner is used with the object/person that
    (i) is new -> Introduction: “This is my sister.”
    (ii) the first thing -> “This first example is very valuable”
    (iii) is being experienced presently and ‘for the first time’ -> “This is my first time in Africa.”
    (iv) is the only thing being presently discussed/experienced -> If you have described the main idea, concept, thing, person, then: "This could be worth a fortune.” “Nowadays, a lot of young women want to have plastic surgery. This has become a social issue in my country.
    (v) will be immediately discussed/experienced, -> “I would like some more information on this idea of yours.”
    (vi) Is the nearest thing (in space or time) -> “This ring in my hand is very expensive.”
    (vii) Is the thing now indicated -> “Moving on, if I may show you this. [points at something]…”

2. That (pl. Those) pronoun and determiner is the object/person that
    (i) has been discussed/experienced, -> “I told you about that yesterday!”
    (ii) is the next and subsequent thing, -> “This pin is rusty, now let’s look at that one.
    (iii) was experienced in the past -> “I went to Zambia in 1987. That was my first time in Africa.”
    (iv) is the second or subsequent thing being discussed/experienced -> You have told me about your experience in Africa, but you also went to America, tell me about that.
    (v) a more distant object in space or time-> “That over there is my shopping list.” / “Ah yes, 1950… that was the year I went to Brazil.”

Saul Sayers

Indonesian
    Thank you, my kind sir. I actually answered these but my teacher answered those so i was confused and had to ask someone right away.

< Previous | Next >