these tablets have expired, or these tablets have reached the date of expirement.

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
Hi everybody
If I want to say that the tablets cannot be used any longer because they have reached the date of expirement that is written on the package or bottle, should I say ''these tablets have expired'', or ''these tablets have reached the date of expirement''? which one is correct?

Thank you

• StrangeAttitude

English - United States
    I would say "the tablets are expired", but you can say "they have expired" also and it will sound good.

Also, the word you are looking for is expiration and you can call the date itself the expiration date.

Hope it helps.

Brioche

Australia English
    Heba said:
    Hi everybody
    If I want to say that the tablets cannot be used any longer because they have reached the date of expirement that is written on the package or bottle, should I say ''these tablets have expired'', or ''these tablets have reached the date of expirement''? which one is correct?

Thank you
    A common expression is "These tablets are past their use-by date".

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Panj household usage report:
    Food has a sell by and/or a use by date.
    Medicines have an expiry date.

So the tablets are past their expiry date.

I know it's boring, but that's what it says on the packaging:)

virtdave

english, USA
    Again, a minor difference in AE: past their expiry date is not often used (though it would be understood). Much more common (an instance where AE is more cumbersome than BE): past their date of expiration.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    panjandrum said:
    Panj household usage report:
    Food has a sell by and/or a use by date.
    Medicines have an expiry date.

So the tablets are past their expiry date.

I know it's boring, but that's what it says on the packaging:)
    I just checked some medicines and vitamin supplements I have in the cupboard and they both have expiry dates. Both medicines are made in the Netherlands but one is a U.K. brand and the other from the States.
    All the food I checked had Best before and the date.

< Previous | Next >