These/They are my grandma and my grandpa

< Previous | Next >

Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
Please help me with the following.
Is it right, that both variants are possible (depending on the situation).
1. These are my grandma and my grandpa. [A boy is introducing his grandparents to his friend, they are all together in one room, near each other]
2. They are my grandma and my grandpa. [A boy is explaining who are these people on the picture or at the same room, but not near him - say, at the opposite corner of the room ]

Thanks!

• Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
    Thank you Thomas!
    Could you please tell me how should a kid introduce his grandparents to his friend if they are all together in one room, near each other?

Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
    You mean: "This is my grandma and this is my grandpa.", right? So, there should be better to introduce one by one, but not like "These are my grandparents?"
    Thank you!

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    These are my grandparents is fine. I thought your original sentence 1 was okay, too.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    You mean: "This is my grandma and this is my grandpa.", right? So, there should be better to introduce one by one, but not like "These are my grandparents?"
    Thank you!
    No. Sorry! I think the most natural introduction would be "This is my grandma and my grandpa".

Moving the demonstrative pronoun to the plural - "These are my grandparents" - while no doubt correct, makes them sound like inanimate objects, to my ear, so I'd be more likely to say "Here are my grandparents": that sounds more intimate and friendly, and you said that this was an introduction.

Last edited:

Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
    No. Sorry! I think the most natural introduction would be "This is my grandma and my grandpa".
    Thank you Thomas!
    Does this mean that "these" in any case sounds like being related to something inanimate, so we should avoid using "these" in constructions related to people at all?
    In such a case, how it could be explained "This is my grandma and my grandpa."? Is it true, that the full sentence is "This is my grandma and this is my grandpa.", then we just omit the same construction (coloured by red) "This is my grandma and this is my grandpa." and the final result is "This is my grandma and my grandpa."?
    Is it possible to say just "This is my grandma and grandpa." then?
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >