These were typically identified in terms of a distinction between ...

Acyang

Chinese - China
A variety of views circulated about the racial identity of the Egyptians and the source of their culture. These were typically identified in terms of a distinction between the Caucasoid and Negroid racial categories.

What does the second sentence mean? Does it mean that "These views have recognised a distinction between the Caucasoid and Negroid racial categories"?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's not very clear to me. 'These' must mean the views; we wouldn't use 'these' about people, the Egyptians. But these views were identified? A strange choice of words. And if there were a variety of views, which ones made use of what kind of distinction? Can you quote another sentence after that if it gives more information on this? (And what is the source of this quote?)

Acyang

Chinese - China
    It's not very clear to me. 'These' must mean the views; we wouldn't use 'these' about people, the Egyptians. But these views were identified? A strange choice of words. And if there were a variety of views, which ones made use of what kind of distinction? Can you quote another sentence after that if it gives more information on this? (And what is the source of this quote?)
    It is from wikipedia, Ancient Egyptian race controversy. The whole paragraph is:
    The question of the race of ancient Egyptians was raised historically as a product of the early racial concepts of the 18th and 19th centuries, and was linked to models of racial hierarchy primarily based on craniometry, anthropometry and genetics. A variety of views circulated about the racial identity of the Egyptians and the source of their culture. These were typically identified in terms of a distinction between the Caucasoid and Negroid racial categories. Some scholars argued that ancient Egyptian culture was influenced by other Afroasiatic-speaking populations in Northeast Africa, the Maghreb, or the Middle East, while others pointed to influences from various Nubian groups or populations in Europe.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It doesn't make much sense here for views to be identified. I reckon the plural "these" does not refer to either of the preceding plural nouns (views and Egyptians) but rather to the "and"-combination of the two singular terms racial identity and source of their culture.

Acyang

Chinese - China
    It doesn't make much sense here for views to be identified. I reckon the plural "these" does not refer to either of the preceding plural nouns (views and Egyptians) but rather to the "and"-combination of the two singular terms racial identity and source of their culture.
    I still feel confused if it means that "The racial identity of the Egyptians and the source of their culture are identified in terms of a distinction between the Caucasoid and Negroid racial categories". I thought that "in terms of" means "in relation to", and I cannot figure out the meaning of "something is identified in relation to a distinction".

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "In terms of" here means something closer to "by means of". The distinction between Caucasoid and Negroid categories helps to identify the racial identity and culture source of the Egyptians.

< Previous | Next >