They’ll offer one another up

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 321, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors told Connie that When the last real man is killed, and they’re all tame: white, black, yellow, all colours of tame ones: then they’ll all be insane.)

‘……Then they’ll all be insane, and they’ll make their grand auto da fe. You know auto da fe means act of faith? Ay, well, they’ll make their own grand little act of faith. They’ll offer one another up.’

Some friends have told me that make their grand auto da fe means hold ceremony to burn some people, but what does they'll offer one another up mean please? Combining the two colored sentences, I guess Lawrence means that if human being continues to kill real man(i.e, the natural humanity), the world will be extinct by wars or something like it
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    To offer up = to make a sacrifice of, to make a gift of as a religious act.

E.g. Hebrews 13:15 "Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You need to understand "auto-da-fé" (a Portuguese phrase) -> OED
    1. auto-da-fé
    a. A religious ceremony demonstrating commitment to Catholicism held by the Spanish or Portuguese Inquisition prior to the punishment of prisoners, such as blasphemers, bigamists, and witches, as well as heretics. [the phrase is historical in later use.

In the most serious cases the punishments extended to burning at the stake. The first recorded auto-da-fé was held in Seville in 1481. The sense is sometimes difficult to distinguish from the execution itself.
    As you see from the final sentence, auto-da-fé describes both the ceremony itself and, by extension, the act of burning someone at the stake.

< Previous | Next >