They are even discussing including them

< Previous | Next >

Bukao

Italiano
Hi all,
I read the following in an article about gaming:'eSports or computer games competitions are now a thing. In some markets they are huge and they are even discussing including them in the Olympic Games.'
My attemp is: 'eSports e gare di giochi per computer sono famosi. In alcuni mercati sono fortissimi e si sta/stanno persino discutendo di icluderli nei Giochi Olimpici.' They in bold refers to something else not to esports and computer games competition, doesn't it?
Thanks a lot

Alex

• QuasiTriestino

American English
    The "they" in bold refers to a general group of people, nothing specific. It's an impersonal pronoun (you and they) like si in Italian.

They say it's hot in Palermo.
    Si dice che fa caldo a Palermo.

They're finally building the highway.
    Finalmente si sta costruendo l'autostrada.

In the States they travel a lot by plane.
    Negli Stati Uniti si viaggia tanto in aereo.

The impersonal "you" in English is usually for conversation that includes the speaker and the listener. "You can't use your phone here" - meaning that I can't use my phone, you can't use your phone, and neither can anyone else here.

Using "they" excludes the speaker and listener. "They're really making a mess of this situation in Washington." (In other words, some other group of people is making a mess of things in Washington.)

It's funny - In English, you'll hear something like the following occasionally:

"They did a study that proved what I'm telling you is true."
    "Oh yeah? And who's they?"
    "Quit questioning me about this!"

Clearly, "who is they" is a little wonky to hear, but it conveys the sense of "who is this group of people you're referring to?"

Anywho, probably a little bit more than you wanted to know! o_O

< Previous | Next >