They are getting, by force of law, almost nothing in rent for their land

Antea

Italian
Hi!Sorry,but I have a problem with this phrase,I've tried to translate It,but I think It doesn't work at all!
  • They are getting,by force of law,almost nothing in rent for their land
my tanslation:"Non stanno ottenendo,grazie alla legge,quasi nulla in affitto per la loro terra" but I'm not sure..

• Sicanius

Italian
    I believe that's the right meaning! as for the translation, I'd say:
    Ricorrendo alla legge, non stanno ricavando quasi nulla dall'affitto della loro terra.
    But I am not totally sure about the meaning of by force of law in this context...
    Sic.

The expression "by force of law" occurs more in the US than the UK. In the UK it would equate to "under the law" or "because of the law". The inclusion of the word "force" does not mean that force has in fact been used, or that anyone has begun any form of legal action. So I would prefer "grazie alla legge" to "ricorrendo alla legge.

london calling

UK English
    The expression "by force of law" occurs more in the US than the UK. In the UK it would equate to "under the law" or "because of the law". The inclusion of the word "force" does not mean that force has in fact been used, or that anyone has begun any form of legal action. So I would prefer "grazie alla legge" to "ricorrendo alla legge.
    Yes, I think you're right!

They are getting,by force of law,almost nothing in rent for their land

Per via della legge/norma vigente l'affitto che ricevono/che viene corrisposto loro è bassissimo/quasi nullo.